Friday 23 September 2011

Introducing.... Angels Gate!

As mentioned in my first blog post, i have assumed the challenge of consuming wine weekly and alphabetically. By alphabetically, I mean that I will be choosing a bottle or glass of wine based on its label and it must run orderly. I will be starting with the letter A,  gradually making my way down to Z.

I've spent 11 years working in the service industry and thought it would be kind of fun to incorporate what I love doing each week into by my blog. I have spent the past 6 years bar tending, both in a restaurant/lounge and in a night club. The easy route would have been for me to choose cocktails and liquor as this is the area I feel the most confident in. However, as a first year CreComm student I am experiencing things that challenge me daily and I want to embrace every opportunity that comes my way. Don't get me wrong, I do understand wine and I love it.... but, of the two, I haven't explored wine quite as explicitly. This blog will encourage me to try new things and to keep an open mind and to push myself further in educating myself even further into the world of wine!



 The other aspect of this blog that excites me is that most wine enjoying involves a special function, or sometimes I just like to relax and share the evening chatting with a glass of wine with someone special. Whatever the case may be, I intend on sharing all the dirty details of whatever it is that my date with alpha wine entails!! There's lot's going on in our incredible city these days, so I'm sure there will be plenty to report on.


Which brings me to my very first wine post!! Please give a warm welcome to... the letter A!! I selected Angels Gate for my very first post. Angels Gate is a winery located in the Niagara Peninsula in Ontario, Canada and it is a Gewurztraminer. Two things were appealing about this, I love Gewurztraminer wine and I also loved that it was Canadian for my first post. I found this bottle at our friendly Osbourne Village MLCC at an affordable price of $16.99. I tend to stick around the $12-$14 range for the most part but I was going out for my birthday with girlfriends so I figured I'd toss in a few more dollars in honour of me getting old and for beginning my blog journey!

My friend Liz and I opened Angels Gate before heading to Red Cactus a few weeks ago. We decided that this wine tastes floral and fruity. But, more floral than fruity. Which is important in terms of taste for wine as fruity can mean sweet or acidic depending on what kind of fruity flavours it is. This isn't as sweet at some Gewurztraminer wines that I've had. It is very light tasting and smooth. This would be a great choice for someone who is new to drinking wine and would be paired well with some chicken or white fish!

Feel free to send me your suggestions for B, or any other letter for that matter! Thanks for reading and have a great weekend!

tamara



2 comments:

  1. Great idea for a blog, Tamara!
    I agree with you - a bottle of wine seems to instantly transform the ordinary into an occasion.
    In addition to reading about the wine, it's also nice to read about what events are accompanying your bottle of the week :)
    Thanks for including the price range and where you picked up the bottle - good to know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading Alana! I'm glad you like it! There will be plenty more suggestions coming soon! :)

    ReplyDelete