Friday 30 September 2011

Oh Hey David Carr!

Last Friday, I managed to experience a day in the life of one of North America's most popular and successful newspapers!

Well sort of....

My fellow CreCommers and I made our way down the streets of the Exchange District to the Cinematheque (amazing might I add). We checked out a great documentary about the New York Times: Page One - Inside The New York Times.




Page One examines the collision of two worlds; newspapers and the easy access of the media news. The need for news is not dying, the way we access it however, is changing. We find information with the simple click of a mouse at any hour of any day from computers, smart phones, tablets and so on. This is incredibly damaging for the newspaper industry as we are less inclined to purchase print press. Many people feel 'why pay, when i can get it for free', which i must admit I am guilty of this at times. The larger issue is that we also live in a time where we need to be more environmentally conscious. Earth's resources are depleting at an increasingly alarming rate and we need to be more aware and proactive. Which is a whole other issue that I am sure I will touch on at some point during my blogging adventures. (I used to maintain a blog regarding environtal issues- kind of important to my heart).


This documentary will certainly open viewers eyes around the world to the bigger issues of news and the way it's changing and what this means for the newspaper industry. The New York Times could slowly come to an end as they have already made drastic staff cuts due to lower sales and revenue. Which raises the next concern: investigative journalism may come to and end as well.

I am a big time documentary lover, so I was very excited to watch this doc. I enjoyed it and I learned something valuable. It made me think thoughtfully about this issue facing journalism today. I also thought that it kind of dragged on near the end, I may have even dozed off for a few minutes. All in all though, I did really like it. It was really cool to see behind the scenes of Times newspaper and how everything is put together.

Wow David Carr!! My hat goes off to you- you are a fascinating man!! Kind of wanna go for coffee with him and have a chit chat! He without a doubt added to the entertainment factor in a massive way. His hoarse voice mixed with his foul mouth and brass attitude was actually refreshing! I liked his interaction with people, he didn't beat around the bush and he certainly doesn't follow the rules when it comes to manners and common courtesies. Also note worthy: He is an ex drug addict and single father of two girls- now working for New York Times. Impressive.

Check out the trailer... then check it out in the theatre with a bag of popcorn and some friends.


2 comments:

  1. Before you decide to go for coffee with David Carr, check out his autobiography The Night of the Gun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Carr has certainly had quite the life. I would love to read his autobiography, he has gone through so much. I'm sure he has inspired a lot of people by sharing his his journey through addiction, parenthood, recovery and cancer. Maybe I could get him to sign a copy over a skinny vanilla latte.

    ReplyDelete